Mother’s Day Scare

Well that was something I really don’t want to go through again.

Sunday, May eighth, Mother’s Day started out calm enough. The proverbial calm before the storm. I was sitting here, alternating between mindlessly scrolling social media and staring out the window. I was wondering if my son had purchased tickets to the race and if we were going. Then, the phone rang. Dad was calling telling me something was wrong with mom. I hurriedly told him I would get dressed and be right there. I think that was the fastest I have ever gotten dressed and got down there. Ordinarily I would not have worried about my contacts but something told me I needed to go ahead and put them in.

I walked into my folk’s place to mom in a seriously bad way. She was hurting, pale and struggling to breathe. I told her plainly I was calling for paramedics. I grabbed her phone and called. I managed to calmly tell the dispatcher what was going on, the address, who I was and listened to her instructions. I called my brother and I called my son. My son would bring his grandfather to the hospital and my brother would meet us there.

A few moments after the call I heard the rescue truck’s siren approaching. I walked out to the edge of the yard and flagged them down. They got out of the truck, got their gear and headed for the house. The way the house is laid out the stretcher wouldn’t fit inside, but we managed to get mom out onto the porch where they helped her onto the stretcher and into the truck. I rode along forcing a calm I really wasn’t sure I was feeling.

Pulling up to the hospital I followed them into the building and along the corridors to the examination room. After all of the initial testing was done I managed to get my brother and dad back into the room. They seemed to believe she was having or had a heart issue of some sort. They checked her awareness and checked for signs of stroke. They took blood, they listened, they checked and still she was hurting.

They finally admitted her and found a room. We followed them along corridors and into the elevator. They got her into a room and hooked up to various monitors. Settling into the room they told us they wanted to run two more tests. Visiting hours are over at 8pm. Just after my brother and dad left, they took her for the first test. They woke her at eleven that night to take her down for the next test. This became the normal. Just when she was sleeping her best, they needed to do a test or draw blood or check vitals. I’m sitting in a recliner beside the bed watching this.

View from mom’s room

Monday afternoon I did leave long enough to get cleaned up and change clothes. I grabbed a cup of coffee and headed back with dad as passenger. My dad can’t walk long distances. I let him out in front of the hospital and as he found a seat, I went and parked my car. Getting back to where he waited I borrowed a wheelchair and we headed for mom’s room. My brother was working, but has a job that allows him some flexibility and came as he could. Dad stayed most of the rest of the afternoon. My brother went and got dad and me something to eat, he planned on getting something later. My son came for dad, I pushed him down to the front of the hospital and a bench and returned the wheelchair. Visitor’s hours over my brother left for home, promising to be back as soon as possible. I made myself as comfortable as possible in the recliner. Which wasn’t very comfortable for many reasons. One being how cold they keep the hospital, even with layered clothing and a lightweight blanket, I was cold.

Mom was hoping to go home Tuesday but there was an issue they needed to keep an eye on so she was trapped at least one more day. My brother was able to get up to the hospital twice, dad wasn’t feeling well and didn’t come.  Mom was doing so much better and was really disappointed that she had to stay. While my brother was there I made a run to the house to get some things mom wanted and get coffee and hot tea.

My son told me I looked tired

This morning mom got the word she had been waiting on, she was being discharged. She was happier than a child who go exactly what they wanted for Christmas. The doctor said they would try to get her out before lunch and they did. I let everyone know she was being discharged and began gathering all her belongings together. A few minutes after eleven they were coming to begin the process. Finally we were making our way out of the building. The nurse pushing mom in a wheelchair and me carrying everything. We arrived at the door and I told her I was parked fairly close I would only be a moment.

And we’re outta here

Once mom was home and settled I walked back up here, I was starving. After I got my second wind I walked back down and helped dad change his bed and get the name of the medicine that I had to go pick up for mom. While I was out I filled the jeep with gas. I managed to get mom’s medicine and the ice cream dad wanted then headed for home. Currently I am operating on adrenaline. Staying at the hospital meant waking at every sound, at every blood draw, at every need for mom’s needs. She slept better than I did but that’s fine. I needed to be there for her and I was. Many prayers went up for her and those prayers were answered.

About rebecca s revels

A writer, a photographer, a cancer survivor. An adventurer of the mild kind, a lover of the simple pleasures such as long walks and chocolate. A Christian unashamed of my faith and a friend who is dependable and will encourage readily. Author of three self published books with more waiting to find their way to paper. An advocate of good things, a fighter against wrongs.
This entry was posted in faith, family, life's journey, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Mother’s Day Scare

  1. elvira797mx says:

    Thank’s for share, dear Rebecca. Hope everything it’s ok for you and yours.
    Keep well.

  2. John says:

    Rebecca, I so hope that your mom will be back to herself very soon, I said a prayer for her just now. A virtual hug for you guys! 🙏🏻❤️

  3. pkadams says:

    Glad your mom is okay .

  4. Thank God she is getting well. God bless your mom and to your family as well.
    Strength to you, too.🙏🏻

  5. WebbBlogs says:

    Happy to hear your mom is back home and doing much better. Hope you are now able to get some rest. Sending well wishes to you and your family.

  6. Glad your mom’s ok. May she stay so.

  7. Glad to hear your mom is well! Thanks for sharing this!

  8. Blanca says:

    I hope your mum is feeling better now.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.