Day 302; Footnotes of Well That Was Odd But Rather Amusing

Well I messed this evening up.

But before I get into that, there is this.

Mom called me today asking if I was going to the big box store anytime soon. I told her that I did need to go as I needed light bulbs for my ceiling fan. Because last night, just as I was preparing for bed the bulb flickered, faded, came back and then blew out. Rats. This was already midnight. So here I go off on a scavenger hunt for the bulbs that I just knew I had. I just had no clue where they might be. I searched where I thought I remembered putting them. I searched places where they would have been, but I moved stuff around. I looked anywhere and everywhere I could think of looking. Then I did it again.

Beside my bed is a night stand that my son made years ago in a wood working class in high school. I searched hat table several times. Each time I would move everything on and around it then put it back. This is important. At one point I am on the far side of the bed when I suddenly hear an odd noise. A very high pitched tone that doesn’t stop. I could not figure out where on earth that sound was coming from. Bella was on the bed watching me. If she could talk I’m sure she would have begged me then demanded I find that and stop that blinking noise. I slowly followed the sound of the tone right back to that bedside table. Moving stuff off the bottom shelf one item at a time I found, inside a small tub that had come home with my husband once from a hospital visit, the source of the sound. Inside buried beneath other items, was a smoke detector. I must have pushed or placed something on it in a way that it was holding the test button down created a never ending high pitched whistle type tone. I removed the battery and put everything back where it belonged. I gave up deciding that the bulbs I thought I had, I either didn’t or had put them in a safe place. Safe from even me. I would have to go purchase some. I then used a flashlight to get me to the two lamps in my bedroom so I could see what I was doing.

Mom was a little quiet. I think she would have been happy with a simple..yes answer. I told her I’d be going after lunch.

I got ready to go and meant to leave my two dogs outside in the yard. For those who don’t know, my front yard is completely fenced in so they’re safe and confined to that one area. Anyway, I called mom to make sure she was ready and told her I’d be there shortly.  She lives next door so shortly is actually shortly. Only as I was disconnecting the call I noticed a dog I hadn’t seen before on my back steps checking out the not so stray cats food dishes. Taking no chances, I brought both of my dogs inside before they could realize we had a visitor. By the time I got to mom’s the dog was down there. She said that was the first time she had seen it as well. We fear that it may have been dumped as that isn’t unusual out here. Though it didn’t appear to be malnourished.

We left and headed for the store. We got there without issues and once parked and inside our adventure began. We got back to the garden center and began searching for the bird seed. We found a bag that wasn’t exactly what she usually bought, but she had purchased it in the past.While looking for this, I did something I do not usually do, I left my purse in the shopping cart and walked away. I have done it in the past when with mom, but its generally because I’m looking for something for her and she guards my bag- but not today. Just as I was pointing out the bird seed, a man and two women came around the corner. Mom immediately reached for the buggy, apologizing for it being in the way and pushed it closer to me. She swears the man was trying to get close enough to grab my purse. Maybe, in the end though he managed to get the bag of bird seed out from behind a pallet and into our buggy. He asked what that bag cost, I scanned it with my phone using the store app, came to $29.97. I went to tell him but he had left.

 We finish getting what mom needs as well as the light bulbs for my ceiling fan. Then head for the check outs. As we waited in line mom decided that my son needed a bag of peanut m&ms. I know its bribery as she wants him to sweep the leaves off the roof of their house. We finally got checked out and were starting to leave. Mom being mom always checks her receipt. She said that the bag of bird seed rang up for more than I said. We were still in the store, there was no line at customer service might as well check it out. Walking over we waited. When it came our turn we moved up and I told the lady that we had a question. Then proceeded to ask why the bird seed came up one price on the store app, and I showed her as I had it up on my phone, but it rang up a different price. Both mom and I were very polite, mainly asking about the difference. Which was only $2.11 but when you are on a fixed income and strict budget, it matters. In the end, she got her $2.11 without any real issues. Polite works y’all.

For the messed up part. I was supposed to help out with the trunk or treat at church tonight. The weather had been concerning all day but this afternoon it wasn’t horrific. Just as I was getting stuff together my son came in from work and began hunting and gathering stuff for an adventure he had planned for tonight. Before I realized, I was dragged into the preparations. All the while I’m realizing how late he is making me. In the end, by the time I got to the church so many kids had already shown up and were actively visiting all the cars of the people who had arrived on time, it was not safe for me to attempt to get in there and participate. From the looks of what I saw, they had everything moving smoothly so I left and came home. Disappointed in myself, that I failed to do as I had promised, and wondering what I’m now going to do with this bag of tootsie roll pops.

Still, after I got home, I did get to chat with a long time friend.The dogs were not trapped inside the house the time I would have been gone, and I know, there will be other events to take part in later on. Today was one of those days filled with all manner of emotions, but in the end, things went as they should and in my heart, there is peace.

About rebecca s revels

A writer, a photographer, a cancer survivor. An adventurer of the mild kind, a lover of the simple pleasures such as long walks and chocolate. A Christian unashamed of my faith and a friend who is dependable and will encourage readily. Author of three self published books with more waiting to find their way to paper. An advocate of good things, a fighter against wrongs.
This entry was posted in animals, Cats and Kittens, children, dogs, encouragement, faith, family, Imagine, inspiration, life's journey, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.